Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pleasure in Portugal


We slept last night in Leiria, only because there was an Ibis (our favourite road hotel) and it was on our route. We woke-up and found out there was a 14th Century castle - the Castello del Leiria, which was a fantastic, and unexpected sight:

Cycling to the Castello



The Castello as it existed in the 14th Century!
Views of the Castello today


The Chapel



Views of Leiria from the Castello






Yours truly at the Castello


I love unexpected pleasures!

After the Castello we went on to Porto, a magnificent city and the home of --- guess what: Port Wine. We visited Taylor's, old of the oldest and most prestigious port houses. We took a tour and sampled porto, including an extraordinary 1964 Tawny - and our tour guide Susana was great. I emailed her the photo of us below, and gave her the address of my blog. She emailed me back to tell me she had read it, and that a friend of her daughter's is battling brain cancer. Another reason to help fund research, and for us all to do our share.


The warehouse at Taylor's - 2 million litres of Port!



The tasting room




The City



Susana, me and the 1964 Tawny


Great day today, and you can make it better by donating at www.stemcellchair.com, thanks.


1 comment:

  1. I was very happy to guide you!
    I loved your energy!
    Thank you só much for the visita!

    ReplyDelete